A Day in This Life: Avoiding Burnout

 

      Not every day is exciting and likewise, not every day is uneventful. Nonetheless, each day has the potential to be whatever you want it to be. For me, I try to have one day a week that is mundane. I have found that between school, being a mother and wife, and attempting to better my health, my days tend to blend together and end up causing burnout.

    Far too often I notice teachers and my friends dealing with massive burnout. It begins to affect their sleeping habits, which affect their daily moods and functionality and eventually can lead to some massive breakdowns. I am no exception to burnout, in fact, it's why I went back to college back in 2020. And while I love university life, the pressure I put on myself to excel in my coursework has caused a growing feeling of anxiety and stress.
    So how does one combat these negative side effects of life? There is no one way. However, it does boil down to self-care, which is different for every person. For some, it might be hitting the gym four hours a day, for someone else it is watching one episode of their favorite comedic show after a long day at work. Each way is valid as long as the person is caring about themself (self-care...get it?). In my case, self-care is about having a few need-to-do tasks, usually done in the morning, homemade meals, and family time. I've made a poster of what a typical Sunday (my usual relaxing day) looks like for me. And sometimes it is not this organized, and sometimes it is even less busy, but I still try to stay close to this model so I stay grounded and not burned out.


    I want to stress again, this is not a daily routine for me, this isn't a normal weekday, this is the less chaotic day I try to give myself every week. Every person is going to have a different approach to how they combat the stressors of life, this is just my way. 


If you are struggling with burnout and/or mental health please utilize these resources:


Until Next Time

À bientôt!

-Renee Brady

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your day and those resources! I believe that self-care is one of the important things I've learned since beginning my Ph.D. journey. If I do not take care of my mental health, anxiety, pressure, stress, and insecurity may strike at any time. I found that meditation and practicing proper breathing techniques are pretty effective! I would like to try doing yoga 🧘‍♀️ in the morning and at night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts